The 32-acre Ohio River Park Site, located on Neville Island, served as a municipal waste landfill for Neville Township from the 1930s until the mid-1950s. The Site was owned by Pittsburgh Coke & Iron Co. from the 1920s until 1970. Currently it is owned by Neville Land Co. In 1978, Allegheny County began developing the site as a park but stopped construction when industrial waste was discovered. The remedial action at the Site was accomplished by Neville Land Company. Most of the waste disposal at the site took place from 1952 until 1965, when trenches were dug on the central part of the site to dispose of coking sludges (often containing benzene and toluene), cement production wastes, and pesticides. At the same time, plant demolition materials and slag were disposed at the end of the island. Currently, the entire area where chemicals were disposed is covered by a cap, and the areas where site contaminants might leach into the Ohio River are protected by a slurry wall. Groundwater beneath the cap is contaminated with benzene and 2,4,6-trichlorophenol. Soil beneath the cap is contaminated with benzo(a)pyrene and dibenz(a,h)anthracene. However, site monitoring data indicate that natural attenuation processes diminish concentrations of these chemicals. Ohio River, at the banks of the site (surface water), is contaminated with gamma-chlordane, manganese and mercury. There is no difference in concentration of these chemicals upstream and downstream of the site. Potential health threats are posed by ingestion and/or inhalation of contaminated groundwater, onsite soil, and fish. Seven municipal wells are 600 to 1,200 feet west-southwest of the site across the Back Channel of the Ohio River. An estimated 1,273 people live on Neville Island. Site Responsibility This site is being addressed through Federal, State, and potentially responsible parties' (PRPs) actions.
within a 1 mile radius
No stories have been submitted for this site.