The 15.5-acre site is located at the intersection of Phoenix Street and West Front Street/Highway 90, approximately 1.5 miles west of Statesville and approximately 60 miles north of Charlotte, North Carolina. The site includes two properties: the 5.5-acre former FCX property and the 10-acre former Burlington property and nearby properties contaminated by the companyâ€™s operations. The FCX property includes two warehouses, a parking lot, gravel-covered areas and concrete slabs. An industrial textiles plant operated on the Burlington property. The Burlington property includes two large buildings, a warehouse, a main building and a forested area. A railroad runs between the FCX and Burlington properties. Residential areas border the site to the north. Residential and commercial businesses border the site to the south. Industrial and commercial businesses border the site to the east. Industrial land use borders the site to the west. Mills Elementary School is located west of the site. The siteâ€™s broader surroundings include residential, commercial and industrial land uses. Beginning around 1940, FCX began packaging, warehousing and distributing pesticides and fertilizers on site. Operations disposed of wastes in two on-site trenches and buried wastes on site. In September 1986, FCX filed for bankruptcy and abandoned the property. In 1990, EPA listed the site on the NPL. Sun Associates, LLC purchased the former FCX property and is currently renovating the site property for reuse. The Burlington property is currently not in use. The siteâ€™s PRPs purchased several properties north of the Burlington property, which are now included as part of the site, to address additional ground water contamination. The site supports commercial and industrial land uses. A fence surrounds portions of both site properties.
within a 1 mile radius
No stories have been submitted for this site.